Voting for General Election 2014 is TODAY!!!! Get your members to vote. 501(c)(3) nonprofits may not support or oppose candidates for public office. However, your organization can help educate your community to vote.
- - Polls Open in Iowa: 7:00am – 9:00pm
- For more information, including where you go to vote, click on this link: http://www.nonprofitvote.org/states/iowa/
(Updated October 20, 2014) School has been back in session now for a couple of months, and maybe some of you have even been for your first Parent Teacher Conference already. Hopefully all of you have received your Back to School kits. If you haven't already received your Back to School kit, please contact the Iowa PTA office to make sure we have correct contact information for your PTA unit. This kit has lots of GREAT and HELPFUL information for you as some of you take on new roles as leaders and/or committee members in your local PTA's.
Also, as you take on these new roles and responsibilities, please make sure one of your officers fill out the Unit Registration Officer Form online so that Iowa PTA has the contact information for your new officers.
I would like to personally thank you all for joining your local unit PTA and becoming part of the nation's largest child advocacy association, to speak on behalf of your child, all the children across Iowa, and all the children in the US. Iowa PTA is here to help and serve you and it helps us "bend the ears" of our state and federal political contacts with higher numbers behind us. As Iowa PTA President I want to update you on some important information.
- Leadership training has been happening across the state at various locations during September and October. If you missed the session near you, please contact our office to either request local training, or get a copy of the training presentation. These leadership trainings go over PTA Leader basics, Finance, Membership, Diversity, along with touching on the facts about Common Core. You can also take training at your pace by checking out the elearning available on National PTA's website - www.pta.org/elearning
- Common Core - National PTA has fabulous resources for PTA units to use that explain Common Core from flyers to webinars to presentations. Visit this page on their website for an index of the information available http://www.pta.org/advocacy/content.cfm?ItemNumber=3552. There also is a talk sheet for common questions and myths/facts about Common Core available.
- Diversity, or even better, inclusivity. Make sure your PTA meetings are very welcoming of ALL people. This includes your meeting place, meeting time, and welcome committee. Inclusivity is a GREAT way to increase your unit's membership and also a GREAT way to get new ideas on how to do things, and what new things you can try!
- National PTA has some excellent programs that you are invited to participate in: Schools of Excellence, New Playground Sweepstakes, Family Reading Experience, Reflections (Arts program), #ShareAwesome, and more - Check them out and utilize these programs to grow your PTA membership. www.pta.org/programs
Hopefully you are all receiving our e-newsletter. If you are not receiving e-mail information (especially our newly developed e-newsletter), please make sure you have completed the Unit Registration Officer Form.
Thanks for all you do for all children, PTA, your school, and your local community!
Liz Mink, Iowa PTA President